Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Best of 2010, Update 5

I finished the latest E.L. Doctorow novel, Homer & Langley, during lunch today and have posted a full review directly below this post. I've read lots of Doctorow over the years and I always expect to be wowed by his work, something deserving a clear 5.0 rating. It never quite seems to happen that way for me, though, and this one was no exception. This, in my opinion, is another very good - but not great - E.L. Doctorow novel.



So, after 9 books, this is what the real time list now looks like:

1. Man of Constant Sorrow - Ralph Stanley and Eddie Dean (biography)
2. The Opposite Field - Jesse Katz (memoir)

3. The Calligrapher's Daughter - Eugenia Kim (novel)

4. Homer & Langley - E.L. Doctorow - 4.0 (novel)
5. Blind Submission - Debra Ginsberg (2006 novel)
6. Get Out of the Way - Daniel Dinges (novel)
7. Boston Noir - Dennis Lehane, Editor (short story collection)

8. The Unnamed - Joshua Ferris (novel)

9. William S. and the Great Escape - Zilpha Keattey Snyder (Children's book)
Just a reminder: When I reach 11 total books, one will drop off to reflect a current Top Ten. From that point onward, a book will drop from the list each time I add a new one - and once a book drops off the list, it is gone forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.