Saturday, October 09, 2010

Dewey's Read-a-thon

Hours 4 and 5 were spent at the football game (an 18-7 loss to a group of huge 9-year-olds) but I'm back at least for a while.

During the first three hours I managed 128 actual reading minutes for a total of 98 pages of Deanna Raybourn's new Lady Julia Grey novel,  Dark Road to Darjeeling.  This one is set in India as Lady Grey and her new husband investigate what they suspect is the murder of a tea plantation owner...lots of folks have reason to want this man dead, it seems.

Slow start on the read-a-thon...hoping to pick up the pace later today although I suspect more demands on my time that will likely force me to leave the house again.

Now, it's on to Hour 6...
=================================================

I've decided to participate in Dewey's Read-a-thon even though I have a couple of obligations later this morning that will see me leaving the house for three hours or so.  One of my grandsons has a peewee football game scheduled for 10:30 and I'm looking forward to seeing how his 4-1 team does today.  Then I've got to deliver my granddaughter to my wife so they can leave for a scheduled appointment of their own.  I think the break will re-energize me, however, and I'm not too concerned about losing that much time.

I see that Hour 1 requires a meme, so here goes:

Three facts about me:


I have worked in the oil industry (in several countries) for almost four decades.

I am a sports enthusiast, particularly supporting Houston's local teams, both professional and amateur.

I love roots music of all types: blues, bluegrass, country, mountain and pop.


How many books do you have in your TBR pile for the next 24 hours?


I have ten in the pile but will most likely only read from 4 or 5 of them, depending on my mood and how often I feel that I need a change of pace.

Do you have any goals for the read-a-thon (i.e. number of books, number of pages, number of hours, or number of comments on blogs)?


Not really.  I would like to do better than I did on my last go at a read-a-thon and, since I did so poorly, that shouldn't be too difficult.  I think I will concentrate on reading minutes and number of pages since I'm a statistical nut but I'll play it all by ear, for the most part.

If you're a veteran read-a-thoner, any advice for people doing this for the first time?


As I said, this is only my second read-a-thon - but I did learn something from my first one.  Don't take it all too seriously; have fun with it, instead.  If you need a break or some sleep, do it.  I came into the first one already tired, pushed myself to stay awake, and then was so exhausted that I slept through the last few hours (the best part of the whole experience comes at the end, I suspect).

I'm going to do it differently this time, even taking a morning break for that football game I mentioned.

Anyway, here we go.  Have fun, all.


4 comments:

  1. (Non)traditional Buddhist readathon blessing:

    Just as the books fill the shelves,
    Pile together on the floor and stack up on the table
    So may the joy of the readathon
    Flow forth to brighten your day and lift your spirit.
    Books already read, books in progress and books yet to be read.

    By the power of every word on the page
    May your book be delightful,
    As scary as Lovecraft’s Cthulhu
    Or as sweet as a box of See’s candy.

    Let the power of the images evoked by words
    Keep you stay awake long through the night
    May no obstacle impede
    Your day filled with books.

    For all of those who are reading today
    Who follow in the path of Dewey
    May your day be filled with the four blessings
    Of fabulous books, tasty snacks, comfy chairs and joy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that, softdrink. That's just about perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One, Two, Three, Four
    Get one done and read some more
    Five, Six, Seven, Eight
    Reading so much, can't see straight
    Nine, Ten, Eleven, Twelve
    Pick another up off the shelf!
    Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Trisha...I need all the help I can get. Way too many distractions around here today.

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.