Saturday, September 24, 2011

(Another) Sinful Saturday

From what I've posted here on the last three Saturdays, I'm sure it's become obvious that I'm a big fan of pulp fiction cover art.  I want to highlight a cover this week that I think will help to explain my infatuation.

First is the actual book cover for a 1953 book by Jane Manning called Reefer Girl:




The book is described as "The frank, biting story of a young girl of the slums, and how she was caught in the toils of evil."  Its cover is based on an "oil on board" painting by Rudy Nappi.

Next, I want you to click on the image shown below to experience a true work of art, Nappi's original painting:


See why these covers can be so intriguing?

8 comments:

  1. This is a great one. I love the "Bar" sign outside the window. Isn't this just about the same time The Outlaw with Jane Russell came out? Her pose and the setting look a lot like the famous still photograph from that movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! And the eyeball in the base of the chair is quite intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm...I wonder if that glowing red arrow is pointing the way to hell! LOL, this is a great cover to be sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. James, isn't this a great paining? I love the mood it catches and the way it catches, as you say, the period in which it was painted. I think the Jane Russell movie and photo are from the late forties, but I might have my dates mixed up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. KH, the details in the picture really are fun to study, aren't they? I wonder what the original oil is worth these days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely the path toward hell, Kathleen. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sam, I also love these old old covers -- I even also love the texture of the paper in some of those old old books. Not sure if the paper itself was different back then or if it is just the general "age" of the boobs... I mean BOOKS [sorry] that gives them that certain different feel.
    And this image here [I clicked on it] -- it is so alluring. Definitely well-done! I wouldn't mind reading a few books with that gal!
    Hell, maybe even light up a reefer or two. [No, just kidding! I don't do the Mary-Jane anymore...]

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cip, I can tell how much you enjoyed the picture. Brought back a few memories, I see. :-)

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.