Friday, November 07, 2014

Book Trailer: On the Road with Janis Joplin

Janis Joplin was five years older than me when we were growing up in neighboring little towns back in the early sixties, so I never knew her personally.  But as I look back on the decades since her death at age 29, I can't help but wonder what she would be doing today (and how much great music the world would not have missed out on) if she had survived the torment of all those inner devils that she picked up in her hometown, Port Arthur, Texas.  

(One of the saddest things I have ever seen was Janis's return for her high school reunion after she was already a big star.  All of her insecurities and hurt were so easy to see in her face and her mannerisms that it made you want to cry.  She never got over that town and the way it treated her when she dared be a little different than the average redneck growing up there.)

I always grab books about Janis when they are published (it's been a while, seems like), and this looks like a good one:


No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.