Friday, September 25, 2015

Edgar Allan Poe Open Casket Photo


I suppose that some will consider this photo to be more than a bit morbid, or even in poor taste, but I find myself fascinated by it ever since I stumbled upon it yesterday.

The photo is said to be of Edgar Allan Poe's open casket after his body was prepared for burial.  I think what fascinates me is the shocking realization of just how young this wonderful author was at the time of his death.  He died under a cloud of mysterious circumstances that I'm not sure have ever really been cleared up.  I, of course, knew he died at age 40, but he looks so young here that it really hits home on how much fine writing the world missed out on.

Now the BIG QUESTION: does anyone know if this picture is real or if it is just another internet hoax?  I am very skeptical about things I find on the internet but have been unable to find any information about this specific picture.  Thanks for any comments you want to offer.

11 comments:

  1. I can't say for sure, but I believe that this is NOT a photograph of the great Edgar Allan Poe.

    As you pointed out, the person in this photo "looks so young" -- Mr Poe had a very difficult life, marked by extreme poverty, hard work, emotional suffering, and professional disappointment, and he certainly looked much older than his age: You can see how worn out he looked in photographs taken shortly before his death.

    Also, the person in this photo appears to have more hair than Mr Poe had, particularly above the forehead. And, finally, Mr Poe's forehead was much wider than this person's forehead appears to be.

    Of course, nothing that I've said is solid proof -- who really knows? This photo is taken at a poor angle, which makes it pretty much impossible to compare with known photos of Mr Poe. I'd really LIKE to believe that it's a photo of my all-time favourite author, but, for the reasons which I've mentioned, I must forevermore remain a skeptic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a fake. There were no photographs taken of Poe after death, ad the coffin and even photograph format is from a later date. This is not Edgar Allen Poe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for both your comments, guys. As I said, it's the internet so skepticism is the best approach to take.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I kinda think it's a fake. I did share it for some time as real but in hindsight... Yes this person was too young.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's pretty much the conclusion I've reached, too. It was just too good to be true.

      Delete
  5. It's definitely Poe. Go onto Pinterest and compare it to the photo they have there. It is Poe and yes he does look younger than 40.

    Good luck,
    Dr. Gennaro G. Giammarino, III
    Forensic Pathologist

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love for you to be right. The idea that such a photo would actually exist really appeals to my sense of history and the oddity of what survives and what doesn't.

      Delete
    2. This is NOT Poe. Seriously, it's true because it's on Pinterest? 🙄🤣

      Delete
    3. Seriously, you believe EVERYTHING on Pinterest is untrue?

      Delete

I always love hearing from you guys...that's what keeps me book-blogging. Thanks for stopping by.